Wednesday, August 28, 2013

My Journey...









into the food world was one that was born out of necessity and ignorance. I will not claim to have a born interest in making food or that I was always the first to jump in and stick my nose in my mother's or grandmother's kitchen. Growing up, my interests were simple and my palate was even more limited. I stuck to my comfort foods for the longest time and then high school came upon me. That's when I started exploring the street food in India and restaurant eating, which slowly started expanding my palate. It was the first time I ate a pizza or sampled cheese! Although I loved eating out and exploring the flavors, I still showed no interest in making food. From there, I went on to college where the food choices were not only limited but also awful. After I graduated, I met my awesome other half and when I entered wedded bliss, I vividly remember not being able to cook a single meal or worse still the nightmares of a pressure cooker or microwave explosion in our apartment. I needed to eat homemade food but it was even more important for me to be able to satisfy someone else's need and see that person enjoy that moment while they savor my creation. So right at that moment, my cooking skills were born and started taking shape. I learnt all my cooking skills in the kitchens of America; so clearly my cooking benefited from the comforts and facilities of a modern kitchen. I had a newfound appreciation for the way my grandmother used to make food and how much more it took for her to make the same food I was able to pull off in a jiffy with all the tools and facilities. I tried to make one new dish a week and I perfected the ones I already tried, all for one nod of appreciation from my awesome other half. I am a vegetarian but that does not necessarily have to limit the variety. 

Conscience, by definition is an aptitude, faculty, intuition or judgment of the intellect that distinguishes right from wrong. I decided that my food would always be fresh, tasty, healthy and visually appealing (even if the only two people who ate is were me and my other half)and that was so satisfying.  I decided to make food with a conscience. I usually did not follow a recipe to the tee (realized that was a bad idea when I started baking) but followed what I called "gut-feel recipe", born out of an inspiration in a traditional recipe or a particular ingredient. I explored several ingredients, spices and herbs that were not part of the traditional Indian palate, but fit beautifully with the flavors and theme of the recipes I was cooking. I grew my own herb garden (after an accidental trip to a lavender farm in Maui) that brought me more awareness and excitement to blend these flavors. Today, my kitchen is the central hub in my home - for my friends, family and anyone who walks in the door and no one leaves my home with an empty stomach. This journey, in my mind was truly worth sharing with you - but please do me a favor..don't take my word for it, add your own twist to it and be true to your conscience. It makes it that much more satisfying. 

2 comments:

  1. Great read Akila. So heartfelt. Looking forward to more from you..

    Anu

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very well written Akila, glad you shared

    ReplyDelete